Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Win it for Hawks fans and players from the '70s

Fast Eddie Johnson, aka EJ, was one of several great guards that played on the Atlanta Hawks teams of the '70s.

Dan Roundfield
was a hard-nosed
rebounder.
I've been a Hawks fan since the early '70s. I vividly remember the 1979 playoff series vs. the Washington Bullets in which the Hawks battled the defending NBA Champions to 7 games. My father waited in a long line down at the Omni box office to buy playoff tickets for us. I was a 13-year-old avid basketball player and Hawks fan, and my Dad and I were stricken with major Hawks fever. That was a scrappy, tough Hawks team with hard-nosed players like Eddie Johnson, Armond Hill, Dan Roundfield, Tree Rollins, Tom McMillen, and the sensational Terry Furlow (RIP). The Big E--Elvin Hayes--was unstoppable in that series, but the '79 Hawks left everything on the court. The '79 Hawks were feisty and gritty and didn't back down to anybody. Three decades later, I'd love to see this current Hawks team play with the same purpose and passion, and win a big series for long-time Hawks fans like me. You gotta believe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Thank you for reading Carroll Scribe.