Thursday, August 25, 2011

Little League hero delivers clutch performance for Columbus High baseball team




Cody Walker has a gift for delivering huge hits in big baseball games.

In 2006, Walker famously helped Columbus Northern win the Little League World Series by smashing the game-winning home run in the finals against Japan.
Cody Walker has that
"flair for the dramatic,"
said Columbus High
baseball coach
Bobby Howard.
A few months ago, in the high school state playoffs, Walker’s bat produced multiple hits and 10 RBIs, helping Columbus High win its second consecutive Georgia High School Association AAA state championship.
No hit was bigger than Walker’s game-winning, two-RBI single in Game 2 vs. second round opponent Ringgold. Having lost Game 1, Columbus was on the brink of elimination in Game 2, trailing 8-5 heading into the seventh and final inning.

But the cardiac Blue Devils refused to go gently into the good night. Boston Red Sox signee Jordan Weems doubled in two runs, cutting the deficit to 8-7, and setting up Walker’s final heroics. His seeing-eyes single up the middle scored Weems and another teammate, lifting Columbus to an improbable 9-8 victory.
Riding high from the stirring comeback, the Blue Devils won the series-deciding Game 3 on the next day and advanced to the next round of the state playoffs.
Walker’s game-winning single vs. Ringgold in Game 2 was “one of the biggest hits of the year,” said Columbus head baseball coach Bobby Howard.
“Cody has a history of doing that. He’s got that flair for the dramatic,” said Howard. “When there’s more on the line he responds. He has had so many big hits for us in his career.”

 Recalling the pressure-packed situation against Ringgold, Walker said he was focused on staying calm and picking out a good pitch to drive. He anticipated a curve ball or something off-speed and that’s what he got on the first pitch, stroking it into the outfield and scoring the runners on second and third base.
“I put it in my head that I was going to get a hit. There was no doubt in my mind,” said Walker. “I like the feeling of being in a clutch position where I need to get a hit for the team. I’ve been put in that situation before and I know what it takes.”

The 18-year-old catcher was fortunate to be playing at all his senior year. In February, a few weeks before the season began, Walker tore a tendon and chipped a bone in his foot while playing pick-up basketball. The injury was severe enough that he needed surgery and close to two months of rehabilitation. Unsure about his playing future as a Blue Devil, Walker was devastated, but determined to return by the end of the season.
On this swing, Walker hit the home run to beat
Japan in the 2006 Little League World Series.
“I had to face the fact that I had to have surgery,” he said. “You don’t want to hear that as a high school athlete in your senior season.”
After pushing himself in physical therapy and rehabilitation, Walker did return to the playing field during the final week of the season. But the layoff made his bat rusty and he struggled to find his swing, creating anxiety and uncertainty about his ability to hit and drive in runs during the post-season.
“I was struggling when I first came back to find the bat,” said the catcher. “Of course, I was concerned. I’m used to having hits and not going into a slump. I definitely got worried. You start thinking, what if I can’t produce for my team in the playoffs?”

But something clicked with Walker in the post-season and his bat got hot again when it mattered the most. For the 13-game, five-series playoff run to a state championship, Walker batted .381 (.429 obp) and drove in 10 runs, second highest on the team behind Kyle Carter (17 RBIs). In the final playoff game against Spalding, which Columbus won to capture its 11th state championship, Walker went 4-for-4 with two doubles, two runs and four RBIs.

Once I was thrown into the situation where we need hits and my team needs run, the adrenaline took over and put me back to where I needed to be, and I started hitting like before I got hurt,” Walker said. “Once the playoffs started, I don’t know what happened, but I went on a hitting spree.”
Columbus assistant head coach Greg Mathis was impressed with Walker’s work ethic and determination to return to the Blue Devils lineup. He also admired Walker’s attitude and leadership while recovering from the injury.
“He was at all the games and did everything with the team and still kept his role as one of the leaders,” said Mathis. “A lot of kids might not have been mentally tough enough to do that. He was always around encouraging the guys and telling everybody he was going to be back.”

Walker signed a scholarship to play baseball at Chattahoochee Valley Community College. He is excited about the next phase of his career and life. “I love the coaching staff. It’s a great program and they win ballgames,” he said.
After two years at CVCC, Walker hopes to sign with a Division I college and one day get drafted by a Major League Baseball team. For that to happen, Walker knows he needs to take his game to another level.
“I have to get bigger, stronger, faster and elevate my game,” said the catcher. “I’ve had clutch performances before and been a good hitter. But I want to be known as a great hitter and be known as one of the best hitters in the Southeast.”


By John Carroll
IN THE GAME HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS MAGAZINE 
http://columbusvalley.inthegamemagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Thank you for reading Carroll Scribe.